The Estimators performs conceptual estimates, preparing bid packages, soliciting bids from subcontractors, creating scopes of work for the projects, provide estimate input on projects at various stages of design development.
General Purpose of the Position:
Analyzes blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost and labor estimates for products or services.
Primary Responsibilities (grouped by Key Results Areas)
- Manages the tracking and issuance of drawings (design, shop and erection) from detailer, internal review, submittal to/from approval, to final issuance for fab/construction to all appropriate parties.
- Tracks documents and updates company project list
- Review to determine material and labor requirements and prepares itemized lists
- Computes cost factors and prepares estimates for management review such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work; preparing bids; selecting vendors or subcontractors; and determining cost effectiveness.
- Conducts special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or effect cost reductions.
- Prepare and review structural and miscellaneous steel fabrication estimates, plate fabrication, (tanks, hoppers, chutes, ductwork), and specialty items such as dredge pontoons, cranes, log kickers from start to finish.
- Perform value engineering, takeoffs, proposals, and schedule of values
- Verify status of quotes and keep up with market and other trends to enable competitiveness.
- Business Development
- Actively maintains knowledge of industry trends and professional technology to present best-in-class company image while seeking, accepting, preparing, and presenting clients proposals
- Assist in business development departmental efforts in identifying new work opportunities
- Executes company protocols for deliverables such as bid packages, deliverable formats, and budget projection tools
- Organizes and manages a centralized cost estimating database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized
- Analyzes completed projects to compare estimated cost to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies.
- Provide improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual cost
- Identifies cost trends to assist management in cost reduction and process improvement efforts
- Consults with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Interfaces with other individuals in the organization to obtain support and commitment to the cost estimates
- Reports to Director of Fabrication
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies
- Good communication skills
- Complete understanding of steel fabrication and erection
- Experience in Steel Fabrication estimating 5 years minimum